POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggestions for next POV-Ray : Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Oct 2004 15:30:46
Message: <cjameshuff-9D71D0.15304507102004@news.povray.org>
In article <4164b784@news.povray.org>,
 "James Coons" <jac### [at] ameritechnet> wrote:

> 10. Output directly to JPG format, specifying the image quality in-line.

As Warp said, this just won't be done. It has been considered, and
decided to be a bad idea. Convert to JPEG in an external program, where
you can adjust the settings to get the best results.

> 11. I would like a "flag" ("/overwrite", for instance) that would update an
> existing image (assuming the same size and type) when selecting a screen
> region. For instance, I adjust the reflectivity of a small object, highlight
> just that object, re-render it and the rendered results are written "in the
> right spot" into the target image, instead of the original image being
> deleted.

There are many problems with this idea. First, the whole image needs to
be re-rendered. Changes to an object can affect any portion of the
image, so updating the image just won't work right.

Selecting an object to render could be useful during the development
process, but would require that the entire scene be held in memory, and
other big changes. Just use the existing partial rendering feature.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/